The Mayor and Council of the Borough of Oradell in partnership with the Historical Committee and Columbia Bank is announcing the unveiling of the first Borough of Oradell Historical Marker, commemorating Hagler’s Diner, on Saturday, July 30, 10 AM, at the corner of Kinderkamack Road and Ridgewood Avenue, Oradell. Borough Mayor Dianne Didio and members of the Historical Committee will speak. A small reception will follow after the unveiling in Columbia Bank, the new building at the location.
Hagler’s was Oradell’s first diner, a legendary local hangout for working men and women owned and operated by the Hagler Family for approximately 85 years. Erected in 1928, the diner was a brick building that resembled a dining car. It replaced an open-air lunch wagon the Haglers had operated across Ridgewood Road since 1925. An adjoining tavern and dining room were added in 1937, four years after the repeal of Prohibition. The building was remodeled in 2001 and reopened as Felice’s Restaurant until closing in 2013.
John Hagler, the original owner and an avid hunter, was prohibited by law from selling game in his establishment. However, each year after the hunt, he would invite citizens and families of Oradell to share his venison stew for free, making it an annual Oradell tradition. Hagler’s was also renowned for roast beef and its Thursday night specialty, corned beef and cabbage. Hagler’s Diner was truly an iconic part of Oradell’s history.
This is the first official Borough of Oradell Historical Marker, commemorating an important Borough historical site. The Public is invited to the Unveiling. For questions, please contact the Borough Administrator’s office at 201-261-8200 ext. 249.
The Original HAGLER’s DINER with the owner, John Hagler at the door, at the corner of Kinderkamack and Ridgewood Road, Oradell. The Unveiling of the Borough of Oradell’s Historic Hagler Marker will be Saturday, July 30, 10 AM
at the site, now occupied by Columbia Bank.
PHOTO CAPTION #2: Hagler’s Diner showing the added Dining room to the left side about 1985, at the corner of Kinderkamack and Ridgewood Roads, Oradell. The Historical Marker Unveiling will be on Saturday, July 30, 10 AM
at the site, now occupied by Columbia Bank